Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rich Freeman wrote:
>> I don't have anything on the cloud to backup too.  That would likely be
>> a good idea but I can't afford anything pricey, which is why I hadn't
>> bought a backup drive before now either.  Plus, something I'd prefer to
>> keep under my thumb.  Heck, some things here are encrypted, bank info
>> and such.  Also, while I have DSL, it ain't real speedy.  Backing up
>> that much data over my connection could take a while, like days, maybe
>> even a week or more.
>
> I put my backups on Amazon S3 reduced-redundancy - it is a few cents
> per GB per month.  I think I have something like 20-30GB backed up.
> Oh, if you need to actually retrieve it that will cost you 10 cents
> per GB, but frankly if my house burned down that would be the least of
> my concerns.
>
> I'd only use the cloud to back up critical data.  If you want to back
> up your mythtv and mp3 collection, then you're going to be uploading a
> LOT of data and paying quite a bit to store it.  If you want to be
> storing TB of data offsite there are better ways of doing it.

Outside my camera pics, I don't think I have anything that critical.  I
backed them up on 7 DVDs yesterday.  I been doing that for many years.
Two sets just to be sure.  I also rotate the DVDs after a while too.  I
burn sysrescue ISOs to it or something.

> The advantage of something like S3 is that it is always there, which
> means you stick a duplicity script in your crontab and just
> periodically check up on it.  You don't have to remember to do your
> backups.  It just isn't practical to use it for more than a few dozen
> GB depending on your incremental strategy.
>
> I also have a 50Mbps outbound connection, which doesn't hurt.

Downstream Rate  1536 (Kbits/Sec)
Upstream Rate  384 (Kbits/Sec)

While it ain't super fast, it beats dial-up and I remember those days
very well.  Still pretty slow to do backups over tho.  :/

> Your next best option is to find a friend with similar needs and give
> each other a place to upload your encrypted backups to.  That will
> just cost you drive space, but if you're both planning on backing up
> 1TB of data it will still cost you the one-time drive purchase.
>
> If you want a quick cloud-capable backup solution, I'd look at
> duplicity.  I just wish it had options for Google Drive (it supposedly
> does, but as far as I can tell it doesn't work, at least not with a
> two factor application password).
>
> Rich

I'm just going to try and buy another 3TB drive as soon as I can.  I may
even make it into a removable thingy.  Then I can make backups and just
put it in a outbuilding.  By the way, my outbuilding is pretty far from
the house.  A house fire wouldn't hurt it any.  I got so much junk in
there, a thief would shake his head and leave empty handed.  May even
cry at the thought of it.

Working up a plan and hoping to work the plan.

While at it.  Latest test results.  It finished a bit ago.

root@fireball / # smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdc
smartctl 6.1 2013-03-16 r3800 [x86_64-linux-3.14.0-gentoo] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%
16394         2905482560
# 2  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%
16389         2905482560

It is still rolling over.  It should throw up its feet any day now.  :-(

Dale

:-)  :-)