On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:21:25PM -0700, Penguin Lover [EMAIL PROTECTED]
squawked:
> > Well, I recently switched to the binary version and to my surprise I
> > found that it is much faster than the self compiled version. Especially
> > the interface is much more responsive in the binary version. I don't know
> > how it could be. Makes me really wonder where else I'm loosing speed on
> > Gentoo...
>
> How did you "switch to a binary version?"  How did you do that?  I didn't
> know
> you could use emerge and not compile it.  Unless, of course, you aren't using
> emerge...

[12:29 AM]wwong ~ $ emerge search mozilla-firefox-bin
Searching...
[ Results for search key : mozilla-firefox-bin ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin
      Latest version available: 1.0.8
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 24,192 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox
      License:     MPL-1.1 NPL-1.1

In fact, for lots of large packages there are binary/precompiled versions
available in portage, usually with the -bin suffix.

I remember walking to school through the snow,
uphill both ways, in my bare feet. Oh, now wait...
never mind, that was my father.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 173 days, 20:56