Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> El Sab, 7 de Febrero de 2009, 19:37, Dale escribió:
>
>> Jesús Guerrero wrote:
>>

>>> El Vie, 6 de Febrero de 2009, 23:55, Dale escribió:
>>>
> [...]
>
>>> If you like Mandriva and you install it to use it, then it's
>>> ok, but to install it just to use it as a Gentoo installer it's a weird
>>> thing to say the least.
>>>

>> Mandrake was what I switched from.  I used Mandrake for about six months
>> when I decided to switch, mostly because the upgrade process sucked.  I
>> didn't install Mandrake just to install Gentoo, it was what was already
>> installed.
>>

> Well, that makes more sense of course.
>

>> That said, if I thought I would run into trouble and needed my dial-up
>> to work during the install, I would stick in a old drive and install
>> Mandrake and install from there.  I'm not saying someone else should but
>> setting up dial-up on most bootable CDs is not fun.
>>

> I know from experience how "funny" winmodems can be. That's why
> when I used to use a modem I decided to buy a serial true modem
> and crapped out my conexant hsf winmodem. True modems work out
> of the box without any problem. All you need is to configure
> your dialer.

Mine is a true external serial modem.  I make sure it says it works with
Linux or someone else tells me it does without the extra drivers.  It's
just that some don't include wvdial and other dialers at times.  I don't
know which ones do or don't and since I am on dial-up it is a HUGE
deal.  It can take me days to download a CD, even a fairly small one.
Let's not even discuss a DVD one.  :/  I can't download a huge CD just
to find out it doesn't have a dialer or one that I can figure out.  I am
familiar with wvdial and pon/poff but I sort of like Kppp.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)