> Mine is a true external serial modem.  I make sure it says it works with
> Linux or someone else tells me it does without the extra drivers.  It's
> just that some don't include wvdial and other dialers at times.  I don't
> know which ones do or don't and since I am on dial-up it is a HUGE deal.
> It can take me days to download a CD, even a fairly small one.
> Let's not even discuss a DVD one.  :/  I can't download a huge CD just
> to find out it doesn't have a dialer or one that I can figure out.  I am
> familiar with wvdial and pon/poff but I sort of like Kppp.  lol
>
> Dale

True. I've been in that team for a long time. I also used kppp for
a long time, because the conexant seemed not to like anything else
that I tried. However, by that time, it was probably due to my
inexperience, but definitely the buggy hsf driver has a big part
on it as well.

The demo driver wouldn't even work. It only permitted up to 14kbps
(of those 56 that the modem and the line where capable of) which
provoked the connection to abort usually in less than 1 min. So
I had to buy it without really knowing if it would work. It was
a dumb buy, I should have invested in a true modem from the start,
even if the price was a bit higher.

--
Jesús Guerrero