From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com <geoengineering@googlegroups.com> on
behalf of Peter Eisenberger <peter.eisenber...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:47 PM
To: Klaus Lackner
Cc: christopherpreston1...@gmail.com; geoengineering
Subject: Re: [geo] Intention matters in Climate Engineering

Klaus
Well said !
Peter

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Klaus Lackner
<klaus.lack...@asu.edu<mailto:klaus.lack...@asu.edu>> wrote:

I get it, and I get that intentions matter.  On the other hand, we are globally
engineering and energy system (rather than a climate system).  It certainly has
in aggregate geo-engineering scale, and also individual companies operate on
truly global scale.  That said, this is a form of geo-engineering, which
deliberately ignores the climate consequences.  So maybe we are not
geo-engineering the Earth Climate, but we have created an energy flux that is
about 4 orders of magnitude larger than “natural” energy fluxes flowing into
the metabolism of members of a mammalian species.  We consume in the developed
countries about 100 times as much energy per capita as our own metabolism
consumes, and in part because of it, we are able to attain a population density
that is hundred times higher than that of other mammals our size.  It also
turns out that species of different size have comparable energy consumption per
unit area of land.  We humans have engineered a system that provides a four
orders of magnitude larger energy input.

So we are geo-engineering, and we ignore the consequences on the climate.

Klaus

From: <geoengineering@googlegroups.com<mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com>>
on behalf of Christopher Preston
<christopherpreston1...@gmail.com<mailto:christopherpreston1...@gmail.com>>