14 College Farm Road                  E-mail: rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA     http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robockhttp://twitter.com/AlanRobock         2017 Nobel Peace Prize to ICAN!
Watch my 18 min TEDx talk at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrEk1oZ-54

On 2/22/2018 2:13 PM, Hawkins, David wrote:

It is well said but I will observe that putting a geo-engineering label on what we are doing to ecosystems and the climate through human use of energy and agriculture is not in my opinion an effective communication technique to get people to have less visceral reactions to the topic of intentional geo-engineering.  We need to recognize that there are big differences in context in the two realms.

It is a strong point that a full evaluation of the risks of intentional geo-engineering should also consider the climate risks that are potentially altered by specific geo-engineering approaches.  But I think saying something like "we are already geo-engineering" will fall on deaf ears with the broader audience that is thinking about this subject.

David

*From:* geoengineering@googlegroups.com <geoengineering@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Peter Eisenberger <peter.eisenber...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:47 PM
*To:* Klaus Lackner
*Cc:* christopherpreston1...@gmail.com; geoengineering
*Subject:* Re: [geo] Intention matters in Climate Engineering
Klaus
Well said !
Peter

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Klaus Lackner <klaus.lack...@asu.edu <mailto:klaus.lack...@asu.edu>> wrote:

    I get it, and I get that intentions matter.  On the other hand, we
    are globally engineering and energy system (rather than a climate
    system).  It certainly has in aggregate geo-engineering scale, and
    also individual companies operate on truly global scale.  That
    said, this is a form of geo-engineering, which deliberately
    ignores the climate consequences.  So maybe we are not
    geo-engineering the Earth Climate, but we have created an energy
    flux that is about 4 orders of magnitude larger than “natural”
    energy fluxes flowing into the metabolism of members of a
    mammalian species.  We consume in the developed countries about
    100 times as much energy per capita as our own metabolism
    consumes, and in part because of it, we are able to attain a
    population density that is hundred times higher than that of other
    mammals our size.  It also turns out that species of different
    size have comparable energy consumption per unit area of land.  We
    humans have engineered a system that provides a four orders of
    magnitude larger energy input.

    So we are geo-engineering, and we ignore the consequences on the
    climate.

    Klaus