engineering is the use of known methods for defined practical purposes - we
did not engineer the increase in global temperature and so it wasnt geo
engineering.    We engineered our increasing global standard of living.

Attempting to engineer the reverse of what has happened will be a
deliberate act and can be described as geo engineering the world system.
But the engineering of global temperature by another
means that does not attempt to return the system to its initial condition
(ie solar radiation management ) is an act that can only be justified it
the non linearity of the system or the rates of change of the system
variables are such that reverse engineering cannot be achieved without
massively exceeding the boundary conditions that we judge are necessary to
survive as a species.    The intent is there in either case.    It can be
argued that in any event we will end up with an engineered system as we
have bitten the apple.

LDM