From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com <geoengineering@googlegroups.com> on
behalf of Klaus Lackner <klaus.lack...@asu.edu>
Sent: Friday, 23 February 2018 6:57 AM
To: Alan Robock; dhawk...@nrdc.org; peter.eisenber...@gmail.com
Cc: christopherpreston1...@gmail.com; geoengineering
Subject: Re: [geo] Intention matters in Climate Engineering

This definition then raises the question why the removal of CO2 that has been
put into the atmosphere as an unintended side effect of some other activity is
the deliberate large-scale manipulation of the planetary environment.  Indeed,
it could be seen as a deliberate effort to avoid the (albeit unintentional)
large-scale manipulation of the environment.  The net result would be no change
in the environment.

I think limiting geo-engineering to counteracting climate change is a bit too
limiting, and I am sure if you were to ask John, you would find that this
definition of the term geo-engineering was in the context of a particular study
on fixing anthropogenic climate change.   Would it not be geo-engineering, if
we foolishely decided to warm the planet?

By the way the definition of geo-engineering as deliberate activity goes back
quite a bit further.  David Keith for example used in his Annual Review article
many years earlier.

Since we now – for better or for worse –  have defined geo-engineering as a
deliberate activity, we need to find a term for large scale human activities
that unintentially, but substantively change Earth systems.  Geo-trashing?

Klaus