On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > It already exist in OpenGL. Mesa-GGI uses libGGI which in turns supports
> > many targets. One of them being fbdev. Look into added accel support to
> > libGGI. As Mesa-GGI programs work on teh consoel or in X.
>
> Well since it is so easy, there is no reason why unaccelerated [direct]
> fbdev support shouldn't be added to OpenGL.  Like I said, it's an easy
> hack job off of src/SVGA/svgamesa.c.

Why? It's already their. I run Mesa-GGI on fbdev unaccelerated all the
time at home. Some fbdev targets are accelerated (not fully yet). Making a
seperate fbdev would be a waste of time since its their already. Once GGI
can take advantage of hardware in X windows you will be able to support
acceleration in X windows as well. You get hardware support for both
platforms in one shot. The nice idea behind GGI is you can take advatange
of others works because it is a thin wrapper.

James Simmons                                                     (o_
fbdev/gfx developer                                      (o_  (o_ //\
http://www.linux-fbdev.org                              (/)_ (/)_ V_/_
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net