Andreas Beck wrote:

> > what about a memory visual using video memory ?
>
> This can be done by using e.g. the "sub target" on a main visual with a
> larger virtual area

I don't understand. You ask me to allocate a larger visual and then to use
the bytes currently not visible for my other purposes ?

I think that is a bad idea. First of all, I don't know how many extra
buffers I need. This is all dynamic. If a client connects to the server
and asks for a graphic he can run his quicktime movie in, I want to back up
everything behind and in front of it so I don't need to traverse the scene
graph each time a new frame is rendered into this video graphic.

In other words, the number and size of drawables I might want to allocate
are completely arbitrary and only known at run time. Therefor I want a
'drawable manager' which is responsible for (V)RAM allocation and deallocation
on demand. This might be more in line with what you refer to as an extension.
I just want to remind you that we are (will be) quite keen on this.

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal