On 5 August 2016 at 12:41, Carmelo DrRaw <aferrero1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05 Aug 2016, at 13:24, C R <caj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, I only get the message "Should a desktop file ..." on the first run,
>> then I'm able to run the new desktop file like I do regularly (by hitting
>> the Super key, and typing GIMP). The appimage only should be run once,
>> correct?
>
> No, it is run each time, because it does not install anything apart from the
> desktop file.

I clicked "No" to the "Should I install ... " dialogue, which is why I
saw it again (I didn't want it to touch my system). It would be nice
if it remembered this as a setting.

>> The only other thing is that running GIMP from the app image is much slower
>> than GIMP installed from repo. That's probably to be expected, I guess, but
>> thought it was worth mentioning. It still loads faster than Photoshop! :)
>
> This is hopefully more due to compilation flags than the appimage
> architecture itself. I will try to improve optimisations in the next test
> version.

I think the .AppImage executable contains an embedded compressed zip
file that is temporarily mounted to make gimp think it's installed on
the filesystem. I imagine there's some overhead compared to a real
install.

appimage gimp did feel a bit slow to start. I would be interesting to
benchmark startup.

John