On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 11:35:25PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> ons 2002-06-05 klockan 23.28 skrev Philip Brown:
> > seems that the latest version of pkgconfig is not compatible with the
> > latest version of pango.
> > Which is a really good reason to not do this sort of nonsense.
> > Just use autoconfig like always, instead of this silly pkgconfig.
> > It's too redhat, for a software tool that's supposed to be cross-UNIX
> > compatible.
> Good conspiracy theory or troll, but the problem is that fontconfig has
> nothing to do with pkgconfig, so that puts your little offtopic rant at
> shame.

Actually, fontconfig has nothing to do with the issues *I* had compiling
(as far as I know). That was the original poster's problem.

My problems hit because of 'pangoft2', which is required by gtk1.3.7,
but is NOT INSTALLED by pango1.0.2, the latest version of pango.

Here's a fuller list of all the issues I have compiling the various
dependancies under solaris, for the curious:


glib2.0 fails with non-GNU make:
  Making all in docs
  Making all in reference
  Making all in glib
  make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `all-local'
  Current working directory /home/phil/build/glib-2.0.3/docs/reference/glib

 GNU make is 'recommended', but not stated as required.
 The really stupid thing is, its a bogus dependancy. Doing gmake at that
 point, doesnt seem to actually compile anything extra.

Similar problem with atk 1.0.2. however, GNU make is not mentioned at all,
"recommended" or otherwise

  make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `all-local'
  Current working directory /home/phil/build/atk-1.0.2/docs

pango suffers from similar GNU-make-itis

pkg-config when called from other libraries' configure scripts,
keeps whining about 'sh: gnome-config: not found'

  checking for libpng12... sh: gnome-config: not found

gtk+-2.0.3 README claims that png, jpg, and tiff libraries are optional.
  However, in gtk+-2.0.3/gdk-pixbuf

  /usr/ccs/bin/ld -G -h libpixbufloader-png.so -o .libs/libpixbufloader-png.so 
  -R/home/phil/build/gtk+-2.0.3/gdk-pixbuf/.libs -R/directio/lib
  -R/directio/lib -L/directio/lib -lpng -lz ./.libs/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so
  /directio/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /directio/lib/libgobject-2.0.so
  /directio/lib/libglib-2.0.so -lm  -lc 
  ld: fatal: library -lpng: not found
  ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to .libs/libpixbufloader-png.so

   Similarly for -ljpeg, once I get over the png error.
   Similarly for -ltiff, once I get over the jpeg error.

   In gtk/stock-icons,
   failed to load "./stock_add_16.png": Failed to load image
       './stock_add_16.png': Fatal error in PNG image file: Incompatible libpng
       version in application and library
      *** Error code 1

  [This was with libpng1.2; downgraded to 1.0.2, and reconfigured... ]

  Hit another GNU-make-ism in  docs/reference/gdk-pixbuf
   Making all in gdk-pixbuf
   make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `all-local'
   Current working directory
   *** Error code 1

And finally, the killer, while trying to configure gimp 1.3.7:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... yes (version 2.0.3)
checking for pangoft2 >= 1.0.0... sh: gnome-config: not found
sh: gnome-config: not found
Package pangoft2 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pangoft2.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'pangoft2' found

And before you say I should set my PKG_CONFIG_PATH...
'pangoft2' **was** **not** **installed** by pango1.0.2, even when
I used gmake to compile and install, from scratch.

$ find /usr/local -name 'pangoft*'  -print

returns nothing.

Gimp-developer mailing list

Reply via email to