On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 11:29:30AM +0200, Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you think of the 'dynamic shortcuts' preference as an alternative to
> shortcut editor you will probably see it's not much of a workaround. You
> activate it and are working in shortcut learning mode. You turn it off
> once you're done with assigning shortcuts.

Unfortunately, many people (like me) actually use them for dynamic
shortcuts, and having to enable/disable it everytime you reassign
keybindings makes the feature useless. Essentially the "dynamic" part of
the feature got severly limited.

Sure, "if" you think that way it's fine... but not everybody thinks in
statically assigned keybindings, I often reassign keys dynamically in
vi or use macros, the same is true for gimp. Of course, I am not such a
power user that gimp should be specifically re-written for my (possibly
exceptional) taste.

While I don't understand *exactly* the issues, I am not arguing from
the point of "the design is broken" but from a point of "a very useful
feature now became rather limited". It might be possible that there is no
current solution since mnemonics and dynamic shortcuts simply cannot be
made to harmonize. I just wanted to say that it's a useful feature, and
it *should* be supported. If it is dangerous to use or if it cannot be
supported in the 1.2 way, so be it...