On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:30:10 +0100
"Adam D. Moss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > http://www.faith4miracle.org/FaithLogo-circle.gif
> > the image always displays properly before I open it in Gimp 1.3.17
> > or 1.3.18.  Whenever I have saved one of the images that was given a
> > pink background instead of a transparent one, there has been
> > absolutely no error messages whatsoever.
>
> At what point is an image 'given' a pink background?

Hello, Adam :)
The image is first given a pink background in the preview before it is
even opened.  Here is an experiment I just tried:
1. Open up Gimp 1.2.3 and Gimp 1.3.18 (Examples of Gimp versions that
deal with this issure correctly and incorrectly)
2. In Gimp 1.2.3, click "File | Open" and choose the desired image.
3. In the preview box, before the image is even opened, the image
displays correctly, with a transparent background.  Remember, this is in
the Preview, before it's even opened.
4. At this point, we have seen that the image itself has a transparent
background.  So let's move on to the next step.
5. In Gimp 1.3.18, click "File | Open" and choose the desired image,
6. In the preview box, before the image is opened, the background is
already pink.
7. Just for fun, without resaving the image we just opened twice, reopen
the image that you just saw with a pink background with Gimp 1.2.3.  You
will notice that the background is still transparent.

Okay, now open up the orginal image:

http://www.faith4miracle.org/FaithLogo-circle.gif

in Gimp 1.3.18 and save it under a different name. (You could save it
under the same name if you wanted, but of course if you wanted to
investigate this further, you'd need to get a new copy :))
Now, since you saved the formerly background-less image in the Gimp
version that attatches a pink background to transparent GIF's, the image
has a pink background in every version of the Gimp.  It has become a
permanent part of the image.

> How do I reproduce the problem -- would I be right in thinking
> that if I load the GIF above, then re-save it again and re-load
> the result then the resulting GIF will have a pink background?

I answered this question in my response above, but to reiterate, the
answer is "yes", if you resave the image in Gimp 1.3.18 and reload it in
any version of the Gimp, GQview, ImageMagick, whatever, it now has a
pink background.

As an experiment, in a few hours, I'm going to take the original logo I
cut the Circle image out of, and use the same program in Windows that I
cropped the circle part out to begin with, and then save it as a
transparent GIF and run the same tests with that.  This is just in case
something funny has happened to the image itself.  Which of course only
changes the problem slightly....  But at least it may eliminate some
possibilities :)

Steven P. Ulrick