On Tuesday 07 June 2005 09:53, Alan Horkan wrote:

> I was thinking fo doing something similar for the python plugins
> (and making sure to add ellipses where needed).  However some of
> the python plugins duplicate existing functionality so putting two
> Clothify plugins beside each other would only confuse users.  I see
> Akkanna tackled this by marking the Script-Fu unsharp as "Unsharp
> 2" but if people have idea on how to tackle this duplication of
> functionality I would be interested to hear it. (I must say when it
> comes to learning to port scripts to python I found it very helpful
> to have similar examples written in a different language) plugin
> written .  One possible way to disambiguate similar plugins might
> be to give them different menu icons but expect you can probably
> come up with something better than that.

I always saidthat tehere should be some way to identificate a menu
entry. Not only there will be up to four (C, script-fu, Python-fu,
tiny-fu) equivalent entries on a row, as you point out - but I think
one has the right to know how each menu entry got there.

Today it already happens with stuff like 'filter all layers',
installed with Gimp-GAP - one can't know where it came from.

People suggested that an icon before menu entries would cause to much
hassle to the UI - and I agree. I suggested them that right-clicking
on a menu item would bring some information about it. (Like:  the
package where it came from, what language it is written in, and maybe
even accept a new shortcut for that item, without having to enable
"dynamic shortcuts")

Regards,

        JS
        -><-