<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ( Marc) (A.) (Lehmann )> writes:

> Lots of people have.

Sorry but I haven't seen a detailed and complete proposal yet. If you
can point me to one, please do.

> Given that there *are* proposals, [...]
> b) what would the possible problems be?

I did that, several times, in this thread and before.

>> I certainly wouldn't want to miss the current key-navigation
>> behaviour. But perhaps you can offer a viable alternative?
> What is the current key navigation behaviour? cursor keys? I don't really
> need cursor keys when I do tab completion, and when I need them, I could
> easily use my mouse to click.

Oh well. I had the impression all along this discussion. You basically
have no clue on how the new dialog works. That doesn't shed a good
light on the new dialog but it also shows that you are rather
ignorant. I think I asked you and everyone else to actually try to
work with the dialog. I guess I will have to sit down and write a
manual since you obviously haven't understood how it works.

> (Remember that I don't ask for people to implement that. My primary
> concern is that the existing problems and complaints are (or were)
> being talked down).

I don't understand what "talking down a problem" means. If someone
raises a problem, there are two ways to deal with it. It can either be
ignored or the one who complains can be asked to explain his
concerns. He/she might even have to face other opinions and have to
defend his/her view. That doesn't help to decide if the complaint is
valid or not (simply because any complaint is valid) but it helps to
find out how important it is, where the actual problem lies and if
there are ideas to solve it. If we are talking about problems, that's
a good thing and I am not going to let you stop me doing that. So
please, let's stop discussing the discussion and get back to something
useful like talking down your problems.

> Or, put difefretly: in what ways would a tetx entry with completion
> conflict with being able to use the file dialogs other features with
> the mouse (and then: with the keyboard).

I have already explained that in all details. See my other mail in
this thread in case you missed earlier explanations.

> If a number of users complain about usability issues, askign them to make
> scientific studies before their complaints can be taken seriously is just
> plain idiotic.
> What counts is reality, and the current file dialogs, wether they worked
> in studies or not, fail this for quite a number of people.

Marc, it is you who's being idiotic here. You state that there are a
number of people. What number? How large is that number compared to
the number of happy users? We can hardly decide anything unless we
know the answer to these questions.