On Thursday, June 23, 2005, 2:18:57, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

> Here's one: add a text entry box at the bottom of the screen, and use
> a different key (say, shift-tab) for completion.

My suggestion would be to use Tab for completion, but only if the user typed
a few characters first - if he didn't, use Tab to jump to the next widget.
Another possibility would be the End key - I noticed that on Linux, Ctrl+L
dialog autocompletes the currently entered text (in Ctrl+L dialog - it
doesn't do this on Windows) and that you can already use End to confirm this
completion.

> I've seen quite a number of people -- Marc, Alastair Robinson, Bill
> Kendrick, Jernej Simoncic, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris, Michael
> Thaler, and myself -- complain more or less vociferously about this,
> for what appears to be more or less the same reason.  Alan Horkan
> appears to have at least some complaints about it, Dennis Bjorklund
> appears to be defending it mildly, and you're defending it strongly.
> So by my count, we have

There's definitely more of us - otherwise no Windows port of GTK+ programs
would offer native Win32 dialogs, and there wouldn't be a plug-in for Gimp
that adds native dialogs.

--
< Jernej Simoncic ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >

Always remember to pillage before you burn.
       -- Attila's Instruction