> Von: Alexandre Prokoudine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >    All of which sounds like _much_ more work (and many more design
> >    decisions) than simply making the file selector work consistently.
> >
> > Not to mention that someone might want to edit files in a hidden
> > directory for other reasons (e. g. thumbnail files stored in
> > .thumbnails).
>
> I can hardly imagine a situation when user somehow edits thnumbnails
> in .thumbnails other than thrashing 'em to free some space on a hard
> drive :)

Having access to them can be useful - after all, they are already available,
so you could use them to build a thumbnail a gallery. But for this example,
it would be more convenient to have this as a script or a "Open thumbnail
for this image" entry in the menus.

Accessing hidden directories or moving the location of some from .gimp can
get more interesting on other platforms - for example, .gimp on Win32 is not
hidden, but hard to get to for the ordinary user (going one directory up
from "My Documents" doesn't get you to $HOME).

HTH,
Michael