On Wednesday 15 February 2006 10:42 am, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
>    From: Leon Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:28:22 +0800
>    On Wednesday 15 February 2006 16:18, Sven Neumann wrote:
>    > The user should never ever have to do this. We need to either
>    > move some of our resource files into a visible folder or we
>    > need to provide a user interface to manage resource files that
>    > doesn't involve using a file manager.
>    All of which sounds like _much_ more work (and many more design
>    decisions) than simply making the file selector work
> consistently.
> Not to mention that someone might want to edit files in a hidden
> directory for other reasons (e. g. thumbnail files stored in
> .thumbnails).

Actually, my problems begun in gedit - I was editing a python script,
and certainly, for people on GNU/Linux for the first time, EMACS
would not be a suitable option.

GIMPwise, Sven's suggestions are ok. I like more the idea of actually
unhiding the gimp profile directory. Because a separate interface to
save images that are to be saved as patterns or brushes, IMHO, would
only break things even more. A bookmark to the gimp profile would
also work.  Of the things accessible through other interfaces, I
think there is little left to be done.