On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:36:46 +0100, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 08:08 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I did some revectoring and tidy up work on the convolution plugin last
>> year and got told off for not testing it and introducing bugs. It turned
>> out the bugs have been there since 1997. My objective was to make the
>> code
>> more readable and maintainable and to generalise the matrix routines to
>> handle larger dimensions. I did not attempt to fix these anomolies.
>
> Huh? Your changes got committed, if I remember correctly.

Yes the readability and cleanup that I did got committed, it is now more
readable and maintainable. I did not attempt to fix a couple of oddities
that I noticed (and that Bill initially thought I had introduced).

> GG, can you perhaps consider to take your bashing off-list? We all know
> very well that the GIMP code is far from perfect. A lot of plug-ins and
> also some code in the core is old and the people who wrote it weren't
> experts in computer graphics. The algorithms being used are sometimes
> badly chosen and sometimes even incorrectly implemented. There is a lot
> to do in this respect and we hope that the switch to GEGL will force us
> to review all this code. The concepts of GEGL and babl should also allow
> us to get to cleaner and more readable code. Please do not discourage us
> and potential contributors by continously pointing out that some of the
> code is crap. We all know that.
>

> Sven

Well it seems it was you who got Luis back up as soon as he came in but
thanks for having a more positive to things generally in your recent posts.

I was aiming to forewarn him about the bugs and the state of the code I
was refering him to, to prevent him wasting further time and getting more
frustrated.

In the past I have seen too many attempts to improve things dismissed out
of hand as either not being a problem or being a waste of time.

If we take the more realistic approach you outline above things will
certainly move forwards and ppl will know where they are.

gg