David Gowers wrote:
On 6/23/07, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 13:26 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I think "nearest neighbour" is non technical, very obvious in it's meaning
and readily understood.
IMO it is very technical and the vast majority of users does not
understand its meaning. They also don't understand Linear or Cubic for
that matter, but it's difficult to come up with simpler terms.

Well, we could consider naming it in a slightly longer way but one
that may be more suggestive to the ordinary user ---

1-factor (nearest neighbour)
2-factor (linear)
3-factor (cubic)
5-factor (lanczos3) -- is this number correct?

So it would be a fairly simple and common pattern to see -- more
factors taken into consideration -> more quality, more time.

Couldn't we suggest in there naming what is the most appropriate filter for a certain image type.

linear                      => line-art (low)
nearest neighbour  => line-art (medium)
cubic                      => photo(high/medium)
lanczos                   => photo(high)

Geert