Note: the developers barely have to do a thing.

Half the current default is made up of non-editable round-ish
brushes (that in my opinion makes the brush editor hard to
discover, because new users end up wondering why the brush
editor never works. In fact, I start each new installation of
Gimp by sudo rm-ing the extra round brushes and replacing them
with one editable one).

With the new resize options, they could easily be replaced by:

- 2 or 3 editable ones (one plain, one with ratio and one
with hardness)

- and a lot more variety for the rest (a few texture brushes in
the default would give artists a much better first impression of
Gimp than the current one, without the developers having to
program a thing)

My proposal: start a Gimp Default Brush Set contest. Ask users
to submit their own brush proposals, select the best of each
and make a new default. Deviantart seems like a good gathering
point, with outside submissions possible. Then the contest just
has to be announced on the Gimp website and on other venues.

Rough guidelines (to be refined later):

- Users can submit just a few brushes rather than a full set.

- Although users can recommend other people’s brushes, this is
only if the original creator (including eventual original
creators of Photoshop brushes) gives personal approval of
the conditions listed (most expect users to credit them, which
is not doable if their brushes are used in a Gimp brush default
set).

Most likely, users would have to approach the original creators
and ask them to submit themselves to avoid complications.
Plagiarism results in immediate disqualification.

- The brushes should be generic enough to reflect a wide variety
of usages: texture brushes are good, too specific shapes less so.

- The set should avoid repeating a same brush with different
sizes: there are resize commands for that.

- The set should have variety. By corollary, there shouldn’t
be too many brushes of a same type. At most, there should be 3
to 5 of a category.

Also, users must include a preview of all the brush outputs to
show their potential.

The only "reward" is that the brush creators get to feel good
about their brushes being included in the Gimp default set.

My personal proposal would be a set that goes along the lines of:
- 1 editable round brush, 1 editable fuzzy brush, 1 editable
"calligraphy" brush
- 1 editable diagonal star brush, a few square brushes?
- the 3 current "Pencil sketch" brush (all 3 to prevent
resize-fuzziness)
- The current confetti brush
- 3 "charcoal texture" brushes
- 3 "watercolor texture" brushes
- 3 "cloud texture" brushes
- 3 splatter brushes
- 3 "hair" brushes
- etc.

For examples, see brushes by filsd:
http://filsd.deviantart.com/art/GIMP-Animated-Brushes-1-55860153
http://filsd.deviantart.com/art/GIMP-Animated-Brushes-2-58720457
http://filsd.deviantart.com/art/GIMP-Animated-Brushes-3-70913869
http://filsd.deviantart.com/art/Brushes-Pack-Ink-hachuras-85080074

(though obviously they can’t be All included)

Users must agree with the disclaimer that their full sets will
likely not be used "as is", and that once they've submitted,
anybody can tamper with them.

Also, although Gimp will credit the creators when announcing the
new default brush set, their brushes must be under a Creative
Common licenses that doesn't force users to credit each time
they use the brushes.

Where timing is concerned, I suggest announcing such a contest
when 2.6 Beta 1 gets released (whenever that is). This way users
can also take into account the dynamic brush features.

Anyway, people who are nostalgic can always install the old
brush set.

Again, the developers barely have to do anything except include
the end result, so please don't call this a waste of Your time.
I wouldn't mind coordinating the contest, and I'm sure other
people wouldn't mind helping either.