On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 19:53 +0200, Martin Renold wrote:

> Then you have to "maintain" the user directory if the next release
> adds/deletes/moves some default brushes.

Good point.

> In MyPaint I have solved this by copying the brush into the user directory
> only when user modifies it.

Yeah, that has been suggested before, even in this thread. It's really
something that should happen transparently. Currently the user has to
hit the "Copy" button herself.

>  There is also a text file listing deleted system
> brushes.

For GIMP 2.8, we are likely going to get tags for resources files. The
plan is to use some special tags to do things such as hiding deleted
system brushes.