> From: Rupert Weber <g...@leguanease.org>
> I wrote a patch that might help fix the  situation.

Thanks so much for working on this!  I'm one of the people who'd greatly
appreciate the fix.  In fact, your effort is more than I dared hope for, I was
resigned to the idea that the GEGL route was the only option right now.

My main concern regarding compatibility is that it doesn't cause a delay in the
release of the update.  For that reason I've previously proposed what to me
seems to be the cheapest solution - offer the fix as a compile option in an
incremental bug release in the stable branch.  Those who want a better
compatibility solution can then work on it for the next release.

Thanks again and good luck with continued coding. :-)