On 10/25/2010 12:30 PM, Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> Thank you for the Tab hint.
You're welcome.
> I have tested it a bit more and well its
> pretty good I must admit - I have one window, I can spread
> windows/images across many desktops and the toolbars are following the
> windows.
That was what sold me as well.
> There is no toolbox I got used to, but I can minimize this
> no-window, hide other boxes with Tab and get the menu by right click,
> so this is pretty much toolbox-menu alike behavior except I have to
> click more - this is not a big issue -and I have my functionality
> back, a bit different way. For the new design the toolbox and toolbars
> could be hidden by default not to mislead old users - otherwise I
> automatically look for a menu in the toolbox, when no toolbox is
> visible I quickly find no-window menu.
You can also use the drawing surface menu just like you
did the toolbox menu.  For me, it's just often easier
to use the right click (context) menu because then I
don't have to move the cursor.
> When the no-menu is the only
> window and its pretty small its almost like old toolbox ;-) As you can
> see for my technical drawings/edition the most important was the menu,
> not the toolbox itself - this is why I was so upset for removing it
> with no option to put it back... and some additional window only
> disturbed my work.
I completely understand.  It's a bit of a shock to the
system.  You get in years of habit and now what you did
no longer works and for me at least, there was this
fear that all the learning I'd done was wasted and I
would have to learn a completely new paradigm.
Luckily, it turned out not to be true.  The things I
was used to are still there mostly, and actually
arranged in a more logical fashion.
> When the functionality is there, well the rest can
> look totally different and I can change my habits to click somewhere
> else, as my input to the GIMP development haha ;-)
Yeah, it's easy to embrace actually, since it's really
an improvement.  The thing I hate the most is to have
to take my hands off the keyboard when using a mainly
keyboard app, or to move to some strange place to
accomplish something when using a mostly gui app.  Both
stop the flow of work, and in that regard, the new
interface is a huge improvement, though it took me
awhile to admit it.  I hate change.
> I also have some remarks to the window focus issues that you experienced:
> - if you have focus problem - this may be caused by a window manager -
> I am using xfce4 and I have set those settings to make windows behave
> as expected in gimp: "click to focus" (instead "focus follows mouse"),
> "give focus to new windows" and most important "raise windows that
> receive focus".
> - in the preferences / window management there is an option to
> "activate focused image" - this also may help you
> - I am not sure how this works on windows
Yes, I also don't know how it works on Windows, but I'm
sure something similar is available.  Oddly to many, on
my Ubuntu box, I do focus follows mouse on purpose.  I
got in the habit on Solaris with X-Windows in the late
80s.  As long as the delay is just the right length
before the focus shifts it makes things flow
marvelously for me.  If the delay is too short it's
completely unusable accidently shifting focus all the
time, and if the delay is too long it's intrusive
making me wait to shift focus.  It saves me one click.
I just have to hover over something and it raises and
receives focus.  It's not for all, and it works better
with a larger screen so you can see bits and pieces,
but I've come to love it.  My complaint wasn't about
the behavior, but about how the unexpected resizing of
the drawing surface in GIMP interacted with it.
> Also I have some improvement idea - there is an option to save windows
> position - this could also obey to the toolboxes and toolbars
> visibility, so after GIMP is restarted only the no-window is visible
> and no need to press Tab key. The window size is being remembered on
> my Unix box, so when I start GIMP and have only no-window and its
> almost like in the old GIMP, when both no-window is visible and the
> toolbox - this is a bit confusing to me. This could be made as an
> option - when user close application with toolbox/toolbars invisible -
> they are also hidden after program restart - or they are alsways
> visible on start (checbox maybe?). I think "the dinosaurs" can like
> this option ;-)
That's there already, although it still doesn't
remember single window mode.
> Best regards,
> Tomek

And best regards to you to Tomek,