On 01/14/2011 12:29 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 1/14/11, Kevin Cozens wrote:
>> It is well known in that a lot of people know it exists. As for it being
>> understood, not so much.
> I hate to tell you, but JS indeed is broadly known and used. At least
> half of Creative Suite is scripted in JS, and there is a whole
> industry around various JS based extensions and scripts for CS. I
> won't say how many times I heard users saying "Oh my, I could write
> scripts in JS, but learning a new language just for GIMP? Thanks, no."
> only because I stopped counting few years ago. Just a little
> perspective from outside :)

This might be true for Scheme but Python is  a lot more mainstream.

And IMHO it's not as much a question of language than a question of API
( I write my Python scripts by looking at Scheme code &  docs). When
your remove all things "document"-related from someone's  alleged JS
expertise, there isn't much left and that's all they would  be able to
reuse to write Gimps scripts in JS...

Python is a rather nice and sound language, GIMP already has an
interface for it, it only needs some improvements and a better/more
up-to-date documentation...