On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 23:01 -0500, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 15:10 +0100, Michael Natterer wrote:
> > I discussed this with Martin, and the outcome was to have a command
> > layer around the core, and not make it a 1:1 match of undo operations,
> > because undos are very atomic operation, whereas commands rather
> > correspond to undo groups of arbitrary complexity.
> In Author/Editor we had command groups, so that one command might have a
> whole sequence of sub-commands but make a single entry in the undo/redo
> history. The handler chain got to see the outer command as well as the
> sequence of inner commands, of course.

Yes, but still even the most basic, non grouped command might still
be triggering a whole series of atomic micro undo operations that
would go into an undo group associated with the command.

Look at the current set of undo pushing functions in
app/core/gimpimage-undo-push.h, which cover the entire set of
available user actions and PDB calls. They are really few
compared to what variety of manipulations are possible.