Marc Lehmann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> But this is not at all a problem. For example, on my 8GB main (i.e. /usr,
> /home) partition that I already use since two years ans that is 95% full
> (too full for the file system in question) I have 0.5% fragmentation. Only
> two files have fragmented chunks smaller than 8MB (the maximum).

I think 2 things need to be clearly seperated here:
1. The fragmentation of the swap file on the harddisk. I agree that
   this is a bit of a non issue with the ext2 filesystem (even if the
   swapfile gets fragmented a bit it's no big deal);
2. The fragmentation of tiles within the swap file. The sound of Gimp
   trashing the harddisk suggests that this is a very big issue.

Anyway, today I went over the Gimp sources and noticed how complicated
the tile architecture makes things and I couldn't help wondering why
the heck it was put in. All it seems to do is to give you an order of
magnitude slower speed when dealing with large images. And large
images were supposed to be the very reason for a tiling architecture.

--
  --  Ewald