Hello Folks

I got some feedback about the "Review and better" nearly all of them well
written and with good points. I there for rewrote the  main "todo" list
and post it again for confirmation/evaluation.

Here is my list of minor things to clean up and make better (Without
breaking the freeze). First the list and then the discussion below it.

  * Use PS mod and extend it to fit Gimp specific functions.

  * Don't install any scripts by default (This means all scripts even
    Script-Fu scripts)
        * Make a script pkg with Script-Fu, Perl-Fu and Py-Fu scripts
        * Keep both Perl and Python as a part of std Gimp
        * Exception install copy-visible --> <image>/copy/
                   install drop-shadow --> <image>/filter/render/shadow
                   install perspective-shadow -->  \
          Those script must me "UNDO AWARE" i.e using
  * The Script Pack
        * Make all small script "UNDO ENABLED"
                * Install those script in a sensible location
                  not just under a general Script entry
                *Scripts under Xtns naturally don't need to be
                 "undo aware"!
        * All Script in Xtns should be under the a top Script entry. Under
          the script entry the scripts has to be sorted/grouped in a
          sensible way.
        * All Script in the <image> menu that aren't "UNDO ENABLED"
          should be under a top Script entry. Under the script entry the
          scripts has to be sorted/grouped in a sensible way.
        * Make the "Script Pack" install script control your
          config and only install scripts that works
        * Make it possible to e.g only install Perl-Script or e.g
          logo-scripts etc.
        * The "Script Pack" install script should preferably be a shell
          script avalible from the Xtns menu. When you access it a xterm
          will popup with some "menus" where you can choose your action.

  * Move/transform selections
        * Change move selection to actually move the selection
          (i.e make Gimp PS compatible)
        * Make Move <Alt> behave as old Gimp move
        * Postpone trans selections to next Gimp rel (i.e 1.3)

  * Make all numeric input fields spin-button aware
        (Well Mitch wanted to do the job ;-)

  * Make the Info window auto aware (i.e switch to the active image)
        * If possible add status bar and measure info to Info Window

  * Make the Undo history window auto aware

  * Make the Navigation window auto aware

  * Reconstruct the menu structure

        Core gimp funcs

                Image menu
                           |    Auto ----------|
                           |    ------         Equalize
                           |    Colormap Rota  Auto-Stretch Contrast
                           |    Filter Pack    Auto-Stretch HSV
                           |                   Color Enhance
                        Alpha (the same)
                           |       Offset
                           |       (Remove layer)
                           |       Auto-crop
                           |       Guillotine
                           |       Image -- Rotate (270/90)
                           |       Rotate (no layer option)
                           |       Zealous Crop
                        Canvas Size
                        Scale Image
                        Save palette

                Edit Menu
                                Paste into
                                Paste as new
                                -----           Cut Named
                                Clear           Copy Named
                                Fill            Paste Named
                                Copy Visible

                Layer Menu (Image and dialog)
                                Layers & Channels
                                Layer--Rotate (270/90)
                                Rotate (no image option)
                                Layer Boundary Size (my favorite)
                                Set Layer Size (not that good easy to
                                confuse with Scale Layer)

                Filter Menu
                                Repeat last
                                Re-show last
                                Filter all layers
                                Animation (The same except Filter all ...)
                                |               Apply Canvas
                                |               Cubism
                                |               GimpPressionist
                                |               Mosaic
                                |               Oilify
                                Blur (the same)
                                |               Map-----|
                                |               |       Adjust Fgrd-Bkgrd
                                |               |       Alien Map[ 2]
                                |               |       Color Exchange
                                |               |       Color Mapping
                                |               |       Gradient Map
                                |               |       Sample Colorize
                                |               |
                                |               Border Average
                                |               Colorify
                                |               Hot
                                |               Max RGB
                                |               SmoothPalette
                                |               Value Invert
                                Combine (the same)
                                Distort (the same but add Newsprint)
                                Edge-Detect (the same)
                                Enhance (the same)
                                Generic (the same)
                                Map (the same but add LIC and Warp)
                                Misc (the same)
                                |       Hurl
                                |       Noisify
                                |       Pick
                                |       Scatter HSV
                                |       Slur
                                |       Spread
                                |       Pattern-|
                                |       |       CML
                                |       |       Checkerboard
                                |       |       Diffraction
                                |       |       Fractal Expl
                                |       |       Grid
                                |       |       Maze
                                |       |       Qbist
                                |       |       Sinus
                                |       |
                                |       Nature--|
                                |       |       Flame
                                |       |       IFS Compose
                                |       |
                                |       Clouds-|
                                |       |       Plasma
                                |       |       Solid Noise
                                |       |
                                |       Shadow--|
                                |       |       See above (script)
                                |       Dyntext
                                |       Gfig
                                |       Jigsaw
                                |       SphereDesigner
                                Toys (the same ;-)
                File Menu Image
                Remove Preference

                File Menu Toolbox
                                Acquire (We have to tell SANE)
                                Doc Hist
                Xtns Menu

                                Module Browser
                                DB Explorer
                                Plugin Details

                Help Menu
                                Context Help (Shift-F1)
                                Tip of the day
                Select Menu
                (the same)
                (the same)

                View Meny
                The same but add Undo History. If/When Nav, Info and Undo
                History is "auto aware" move them to the dialog menu.

I will skip the discussion this time just look into my old mail. I will
however comment on the changes in the "Suggestion".

I also got some remarks from Marc regarding Scripts/Plugins -- well what
is and what isn't a script will I not go into. But let me phrase it this
way. All nifty Gimp functions written in Script-Fu, Perl-Fu or Python-Fu
will be in a "Script pack" (except the Script-Fu functions included in the
menu structure above).

Well just because the Gimp function is written in C it doesn't mean that
it is more useful  that Gimp functions written in Script-Fu, Perl-Fu or
Python-Fu (good remark Marc). There for it can be wise to extend the
"Script Pack" with some "C" Gimp functions. To my mind comes the numerous
color Maping filters that more or less do the same. There are also some
very hard to use and less usable Render filters.

An advantage of the "Script Pack" is also that we can make several "Script

        * One that comes with Core Gimp. That has all the Gimp functions
          removed from Core Gimp.
        * One that has all Gimp functions marked as to unstable to be
          released in Gimp 1.2

        * One that holds Scripts collected from registry.gimp.org

Since we have more that one Script Pack we can easily release Script-Packs
more frequently than we release Gimp. This is a very handy function for
the user that doesn't need to worry about function updates etc..,

To make this work we need a "gimp function"  maintainer (a function
needed a long time ago).
Well back to the menu, as remarked by Mitch all functions that opens a
dialog should have trailing ".." dots. This is not written in the menu
structure but it's probably a good thing to have in all menus.

Marcs remark about the script location and "undo aware" makes total sense.
So I adopted his view and changed it.

As I said before  I'm not after a "on the fly loader". I just want a
simple (i.e not load Gimp with bugs) way of handling/install all the
"Gimp functions".

Well, as a comment to the decompose stuff under Mode. Well I and I presume
a lot of others use decompose/compose as a workaround for the lack of
CMYK, CMY and HSV modes in Gimp.

Cheers Olof