Emil Brink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 11 Dec 2000, Michael Natterer wrote:
>
> (Apologies if this reply is incorrectly addressed -- I still haven't
> quite figured out how to properly reply to list mails)
>
> [...]
> > Many of your points already _are_ on bugs.gnome.org's wishlist. Especially
> > the "Enter == OK", "Esc == Cancel" stuff is somethig I've been thinking
> > about for a long time. You can expect a more better organized UI for
> > 1.3/1.4. (Which also means we should probably put "OK" rightmost in
> > all dialogs to match the order given in the "ESC/Enter" scheme).
>
> What? Perhaps I've not been following the history behind this, but
> what is the "ESC/Enter" scheme, and how does it impose an ordering on
> the buttons in dialogs? I vastly prefer the "positive choice to the
> left"-rule of dialog button ordering, but can't seem to find any
> backing material right now... Other than, for us Western users,
> reading occurs left-to-right, and seeing the most positive choice
> first when reading somehow feels a lot more natural than having to
> skip over the (more seldom used) cancel/negative button(s). Um, that,
> and that the Amiga always did it this way. :)

Seems this is nothing we can decide for all users. While ESC/Enter
is of course a good idea, the order of action_area buttons however
is highly discussable.

> Anyway, if this is indeed something that's there has been serious
> discussion and/or thinking about, would it be insane to suggest that
> the entire button-ordering thing be customizable? I take it that 1.4
> is going to include some major clean-ups, so creating and implement-
> ing a sub-API for this, to be used by all code creating dialogs,
> shouldn't be too difficult, right?

There is already libgimp/gimpdialog.[ch] which creates almost all
app and plug-in dialogs, so it's an easy thing to put some configurable
stuff there for 1.3/1.4...

ciao,
--Mitch