On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 01:54:47 -0500
Frank Gore <g...@projectpontiac.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Tom Cranston
> <thomas.w.crans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How do I get Gimp 2.6.11 to work w/my SCSI scanner? I am
> > presently running Xubuntu 11.10 Live CD. CentOS 5 s
> > installed on my HDD. It's version of Gimp runs my SCSI
> > scanner.
>
> I'm pretty sure Gimp doesn't do any scanning. You need to
> use an external software to scan, then save as an image,
> and open that image with Gimp. Xsane works fine for this,
> I've used it many times. But first you need to get the
> scanner setup under Ubuntu (xsane doesn't load scanner
> drivers for you). Good luck finding the proper driver for
> a SCSI scanner. But that discussion is way outside the
> scope of Gimp.
>
> --
> Frank Gore
> www.ProjectPontiac.com
On earlier versions of Gimp, up to Ver 2.6.8 you can use
SCSI scanner. No fooling around getting drivers, etc.

I have been running Gimp on different versions of Linux.
That might be why I did not have too fool around hunting
down and installing drivers.

On 2.6.8, (Ubuntu 10.04)I can scan:

File - Create - XSane - Device dialog

On earlier Gimp versions it was:

File - Acquire - XSane - Device dialog

It might be a matter of semantics as to whether or not Gimp
does the scanning, but I have always been able to start a
scan w/SCSI from Gimps File Menu.

Tom