>Hello erroneus,

>On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 00:02:29 +0200
>erroneus <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:

>> I've been looking all over but there are just no CentOS (or RHEL for that
>> matter) packages for the latest version of GiMP.  Compiling from source
>> doesn't even seem to be a good option either as it looks as if it will break
>> the whole OS the way things are set up.
>>

>Why would it? Just compile using "./configure --prefix=/opt/gimp-2.8.x" (for
>example) and install under a separate prefix. No need to install directly
>under /usr .

>Hope it helps.

>Regards,

>       Shlomi Fish

>> This is no way to build an application!  Applications and OSes should never
>> be tied so closely together.
>>
>> I like GiMP 2.8 for Windows a lot and would prefer to run it under CentOS as
>> that is my main desktop OS.  I have given up on Fedora because of the unholy
>> abomination GNOME has become.
>>
>> What is a CentOS user to do?  We want a stable and consistent OS and user
>> experience without having to reload/update everything after less than a
>> year, and if I want to run a current version of Libre Office, there is no
>> trouble.  I can do that.  If I want a current version of Firefox, I can do
>> that.  But GiMP?  Nope!
>>
>> Why would developers choose to shut us out like this?

I checked Distrowatch for Centos:Ridiculous,Their Gimp is at 2.6.9 while the
last
in the 2,6 series is 2,6.12.
I've been using Gentoo since december 2003 after trying a lot of distro's.
Go to their website and check out the Handbook.
It has a steep learning curve but the reward is commensurate.
You'll be able to install and compile anything you may want.
Gerard.

>--

gerard82 (via gimpusers.com)