Considering that they put a lot of time and effort into GIMP 2.8 and that this
issue has been being brought up for over a year now, I don't think they
"quickly rejected" the idea of a toggle.

There are only two things you can do at this point;
1. Stop using GIMP
2. Get used to the new workflow

Honestly, is it really THAT difficult?

Sent from my iPod