>When you create a text layer, it remains editable as long as you don't
>alter it in any way outside of the Text tool. While in this state, the...

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

That was exactly the nudge I needed.  I was able to replace the layers that had
text, keeping them in editable formats.

Feeling better about GIMP - and really good about the activity here!

This is a twice a month activity for me so I'll be visiting periodically, but
not jumping in with both feel to learn how to be a GIM Jedi.

Very nice to meet you all.  Thanks very much for all the responses and feedback.

Gratefully,
Dennis

--
DennisT (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)