If you have to learn GIMP on the fly, I recommend The Book of GIMP,  by Lecarme
and Delvare. Has saved me lots of headaches, and no small amount of beard hair
… (scalp is long gone …)

I sympathize. Seems the only way I learn new software is under a deadline …

“We, the unknowing
have done so much,
for so long,
with so little,
for the ungrateful,
that we are now qualified
to do the impossible
with nothing.”

At least you have GIMP, this forum, and a manual. You are in Heaven/Nirvana/ …
whatever …

;o}

Ross