On Thursday 07 August 2003 11:48 am, Eric Pierce wrote:
> > Not at all, Eric!
> >
> > I like my script, mostly because I can always write others to
> > perform like tasks.
> Where did you learn how to write ps like that?  I'd love to learn a
> little bit myself.  Are there any good websites or books that you
> recommend? Have you ever messed around with xml/svg scripting?  I'd
> like to get into that as well.  Too bad it's not widely supported
> in common browsers.

Well...as I had always wanted too...and one day, my uncle, for whon I
work here ( http://www.encaixe.com.br ), asked me to design him what
would be a stationary telephonic index (the inner part, with the Name
and Address and Phone entries). I tried Corel Draw first...designed a
small page, copied it four times to get A4 size, copied in new A4
pages, and put the index letters on the border of each page of the
index (A, B, and so on).

Took me about two hours, CorelDraw is got a sturdy interface, you
know. Whebn I got ready, my uncle said "almost good. But you will
have to pull the left margin half a centimeter to the right". That
would take nearly the two hours again .. .(ok, not that much, but I
saw that it was a lot of repetitive work each time a small change was

Them I remembered postscript...If only there could be a free
interpreter of postscript to the screen, taht could also print it in
a normal pritner, I could manage to learn what I needed overnight.
I found Ghostscript for windows on that day, and had a completely
instantly-customizable telephonic index on the other day.

There are some inners of the postscript that seen too esoteric - You
just don't need them for simple drawings, and until today, some 5
years later, I never cared to learn them. The other day (2 weeks ago)
I had a doubt, so I joinned the "gs-users" list, asked it there, and
some guru came out with the expert part for me. :-)

I do not recall now ever being to a tutorial of PS. What I need
constantly, however are sites with a good description of each
postscript operator. - Google can find you same good ones,and I even
soem tutorials.

If you want to, I think I can guide you through postscript with a
short email a day.

> > But... I am just AMAZED by the grid + polar_coord trick.
> Yeah, that one works great too.  A nice internal method for pulling
> off the radial lines.
> > I bet we could just create a "GIMP PUZZLE CONTEST" .
> > The most incredible, and yet feasible, way to draw
> > "fnord" in the GIMP wins.
> Hey, good idea!  (just learned what 'fnord' is or isn't?)
>And then
> each winner's technique could be added to a cool little Fnord
> repository of short little tutorials (or even script-fu).  If I can
> muster up some time, we could propose something along these lines
> to the Gimp people.  I could even host it on my webspace or maybe
> gimp.org would let us host it there.

I think if we can get people involved there will be not rouble in
having a link to it at gimp.org. BTW, just today I saw your name
along with mine in the 1.3.17 "other contributors". What did you do?
I could adda missing entry to the PDB database - the functions
avaliable to scripts and plugins. Almost nothing, but my name got

> > (And any postscript would be left out of
> > such a contest - it's not made with the GIMP after all)
> >
> > Does "photoshop"  have got an easier way to draw these
> > "Simple Radial Lines" ?
> I don't know.  I work with a guy who uses Photoshop, and when I
> described wanting to make some radial lines for an ad, he thought
> there might be a way in Photoshop, but I beat him to the punch
> w/your script.  Here's the ad I came up with using your ps:
> http://www.precisionind.com/_testing/th/ad.png

Great!  :-)
I liked seeing it used this way.

> > I remember using Deluxe Paint, in DOS - and there,
> > there was a "symetric mode" one could enable - every stroke was
> > mirrored N times around a common center, or in tiles, and this
> > drawing could be made using that.
> >
> > Actually, Deluxe Paint, for simple it was, had some features that
> > are not found around in any other program.
> Hmm... could be a cool plug-in for Gimp.  I wish I knew C.

Possibly, a good plugin.

However although C language itself is not hard - (I just gave an
express live tutorial to a friend of mine here) -- but C code to
achieve some task is hard - it requires too much writting, too much
things to care for, for achieving little effects. I am glad that
Python is getting official for the GIMP.