Maybe you want to try another distro. On my Debian box, I typed

apt-get install gimp

and it got installed. No problem there.
Somewhere I read recently that if you switch to Debian, you'll be asking yourself "Why didn't I do this sooner?"....I can vouch for that.

A lot of times you see somebody say: (in reference to some application install problem) Hey why don't you just switch to [insert favorite distro], it rocks!. I do not generally recommend this sort of advice since the user has most likely invested a lot of effort into their current desktop/OS setup. It is also possible that they may need to use one distribution at work, so that using a different distribution at home could entail more learning, maintenance effort and problems than it is worth.

With all the caveats mentioned, I am really happy that I've been able to switch to Debian, and that installing software applications on Debian (using apt) is a dream compared to the RPM way. (Maybe yum is like apt. I don't know, I've never tried yum on RedHat). This is all you have to do to install GIMP on Debian (Sarge)
# echo "deb http://mars.iti.pk.edu.pl/~jakub/dist/sarge ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
# apt-get update
# apt-get install gimp gimp-gap gimp-help-2

Anyway, here's my bit of advice to anyone installing GIMP: If you would like to try Debian (which has the advantage of being a GNU-linux distribution, not a commercial linux distribution), you will not have any difficulty installing GIMP 2.0.1.

And (mostly as an aside-since this is a GIMP-user list) installing Debian is also quite a pleasure if you have a good Internet connection. I downloaded and burned the 51MB business-card CD iso instead of the usual 3 x 700MB iso download of other distributions. And did the install before going to bed. It sets up the basic system, then retrieves and installs all the other software packages while you're sleeping. In the morning, I finished answering a few questions, and my new system was ready to go. Maybe this is just like doing a network installl for RedHat, but I was always under the impression that you needed to setup your own network server to do a network install for RedHat.