> nice shade will become a black block, and the antialiasing is lost.
this is limitation of gif format, nothing can be done about it
pixels in gif can be only full opaque or full transparent

> remains an option), I don't know how to replace it with a color (like
> white) in images like wilber_the_gimp2.png where the transparency is
> progressive.
make a layer below the transparent image (background) with required
color and flatten the image then

> Would anyone help me / point me to ressources to solve either of these
> options?

the most elegant solution is to send png images with transparency to
modern browsers and gif or nontransparent image to that microsoft
garbage. if you place images on a page via CSS it is not hard to
achieve (use child selectors for the things ie should not see)

--
---
Jakub Friedl * Cygnis Insignis