BTW, does anyone know how to make an 'inner glow' on a shape?

I posted a tutorial on GIMPtalk which covers shadows and glows. It doesn't cover 'inner glows' specifically (that is left as an exercise for the user) but it might give you a nudge in the right direction. It might not even be the best approach, I was trying to come up with a methodology which was easy to describe and to remember while still being flexible. The easiest solution to shadows and glows is probably Iicci's "Layer Effects" plug-in but I wanted some visual feedback of what I was doing (as opposed to just enterring numbers). Like most of the tutorials (and scripts) that I've written, since writing it I have learned so much that I feel I should rewrite it incorporating what I have learned.

Tutorial link: