Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
> On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 11:13 -0500, Ben Walker wrote:
>> There are no settings/plugins in GIMP (to my knowledge) that
>> provide either a reliable MDI interface or a truly usable SDI
>> interface.  New settings recently added like "transient windows" have
>> quirks, and "always on top" is not a good alternative either.  I
>> understand that developers are saying (I'm sure justifiably) that
>> Windows is the real problem.  Be that as it may, on Windows, GIMP does
>> not achieve a truly usable interface.
> You are perfectly right here. The problem is however that we don't have
> much, if any, active developers that contribute Win32 specific code to
> GTK+ and GIMP that would address this problem. There is almost no
> contributions from Windows users, but lots of complaints. Now tell me
> why we should even care about them?
> We would accept patches. There is a lot to do to improve the user
> experience on the Windows platform. Same holds true for Mac OS X. But
> unless there's active contributions, this isn't going to change. No
> matter how loud the complaints are.
> Sven
You make a good point.  I didn't bring up the topic to complain, but
rather to point out that those who think they dislike the SDI interface
on Windows might like it if it worked.  Usually everyone says "bug off,
go use Gimpshop, I like SDI,  GIMP is different and doesn't aim to copy,
etc..." but miss the fact that there are real problems.  I would be
happy to submit windows patches if I knew how, but I am not a
programmer.  I have recently tried playing around with script-fu and was
planning to make some scripts.  I also do web-design and was thinking of
trying to help out that way too.  Despite doing QBasic and Word macros
as a hobby, and taking one class on C++, I'm afraid my skills in this
area are very limited.  The amount of help I would need to understand
GIMP and provide patches would be so great that developers would no
doubt find it easier to simply write the patches instead of helping me
write them.

Should I join the developer list to discuss the website, or should I
post suggestions, sketches to this list for user input?

Ben W.