GIMP Users,

I don't quite understand how printer support in GIMP/Gutenprint is handled.

I have my Canon Pixus iP3100 printer installed and working fin with Linux.

However, that particular model is not listed in the list of supported
printers within GIMP.

I hope this question won't offend advocates of GIMP by sounding
accusatory, because I am sincerely just wondering: why would I need
specific support within GIMP for my printer when the drivers I've
installed for CUPS/Linux provide printer support for every other

I certainly don't intend to start any heated threads on the matter. My
basic motivation for asking is because I am getting strange behavior
when trying to print from within GIMP, and I'm trying to determine where
the root of the problem is.

Sometimes when I send an image, the printer flashes it's indicator light
to signify that it's receiving data, but then prints nothing.

A couple of times it did print something. One time it printed much too
large to fit within a single A4 page, the other time it squeezed
everything down to half an A4 page.

So, since my printer isn't listed as officially supported by GIMP, does
that mean I can't use it to print from GIMP?

If it is possible, are there extra steps I can take to ensure correct
printing behavior?

Thank you for any information or advice.

Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
Pentium D Dual Core Processor
PHP 5, MySQL 5, Apache 2