Thank you for responding.
> It uses whatever print plug-in you installed. If you want to use the
> gutenprint plug-in, then get the GIMP plug-in from the gutenprint
> project. I think I already mentioned that.
And as I mentioned, I had already installed Gutenprint from within the
Ubuntu repositories.

But just to be sure, I went to the Gutenprint project web page, and
downloaded their .tar files, and installed that anyway using the
"./configure" and "make install" process as described in the instructions.

And still, when I select to print from within GIMP, it and click the
button that says "About", it says I'm using "GIMP-Print 4.2".

So, as far as I can tell, I've done everything to install Gutenprint on
my system, but GIMP isn't giving me any indication that it's using the
latest Gutenprint drivers.

So my question remains:

How do I get GIMP to use the Gutenprint plug in that I have installed?

(Actually, my real question is, "Why does GIMP, and only GIMP, need to
use an entirely different set of printer drivers all it's own when every
other application seems to be perfectly fine with the CUPS drivers that
came with my distribution of Linux?". But I'm biting my tongue on that.
All I care about is being able to print directly from GIMP.)

Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
Pentium D Dual Core Processor
PHP 5, MySQL 5, Apache 2