I also have had a problem printing from Gimp.  I attempted to print an image
and for my efforts I received a floor full of paper, some completely blank,
others with a line of garbage at the top of the page.  I printed the same
image by displaying it in firefox and used its print feature.

I never investigated it any further since I did get my picture, but I
suspect someday I'll want to print directly from gimp so I'm very interested
in following this thread.

Jim.