I know there is another reply to this...but, since you might not know where
your brushes
directory is.

You will have a hidden directory in your homve folder for gimp (whatever file
manager you
are using, Konqueror or Nautilus, should have an option to "show hidden files").

In this hidden folder will be some sub folders.  One of them is for brushes.

 What I ususally do, so I don't have to keep turning on and off the hidden
files, is to
make a link to that folder (the brushes folder) and put it in my main home
directory.
Then the folder can stay hidden, but I will have an easy way to access it.  You
would
just download the brushes and extract them into the link to the folder.