Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

#1. Is it possible to have the outputted filename derived from the
original image's filename? For example, if you are selecting from an
image named "somegirl.gif" then could the script assume that the
output filename should be named "somegirl-cutout.gif"?

#2. Is it necessary to create a new image from the copied region? And
even if it is (e.g., you want to edit the pasted image), would it be
acceptable if the script performed the creation of this image. I.e.,
you make your selection and then run the script -- the new image is
opened (if necessary) and then saved as a GIF.

Item #1 would eliminate the need for a dialog box prompting for a
filename (and would provide an easier way to handle directory paths).
Item #2 would be necessary to accomplish Item #1 -- once you have
created a new image, information about the original image is no longer
accessible.

If you choose to have the filename of the selected region
automatically derived from the original filename (i.e., you make a
selection, then run the script to save it to a GIF) then would you
want further selections from the same image to overwrite the previous
one; or would you rather that the filename be modified to indicate a
"version" (e.g., "somegirl-cutout_1.gif")?

Of course, doing precisely what you described is possible; it just
entails some steps that might better be automated.