> I was scanning a lot of colour transparencies, some taken up to 40 years ago,
> and found that in some cases the colours had deteriorated badly.  After a lot
> of experimenting I have developed an automatic way of improving the digital
> scans using gimp.  I have put a technical article, the gimp plug-in, and a
> collection of the good and bad results at
> www.lionhouse.plus.com/photosoftware/restore. I would be interested in hearing
> from anyone who has worked on this problem and if you try the plug-in let me
> know how it works for your pictures.

Although your maths is way above my head your results are most
impressive. I have worked with old colour transparencies most of which
are Kodak processed and have been stored in relatively good conditions.
They were copied using an attachment to my digital camera and processed
using UFRaw and Gimp. I will be happy to try your plug-in especially if
it will work with RAW images. Please let me know which is the best to
use JPEG or RAW.