Quoting geoff <for...@gimpusers.com>:

> I was scanning a lot of colour transparencies, some taken up to 40 years ago,
> and found that in some cases the colours had deteriorated badly.  After a lot
> of experimenting I have developed an automatic way of improving the digital
> scans using gimp.  I have put a technical article, the gimp plug-in, and a
> collection of the good and bad results at
> www.lionhouse.plus.com/photosoftware/restore. I would be interested
> in hearing from anyone who has worked on this problem and if you try
> the plug-in let me know how it works for your pictures.

Your script produces some very impressive results and your methodology
is quite ingenious. I especially like how you exploit the quantization
capabilities of GIMP (i.e., using Indexed colormaps).

I was wondering what licensing your script is released under. There is
room for improvement of your script, particularly with regard to its
behavior as a GIMP plug-in and it would be easier to develop your
script further if it were licensed to allow the sharing of derivatives
(GPL, BSD, etc). This is especially true if your main interest lies
with the image algorithms and you are less interested in the demands
of the GIMP plug-in interface (e.g., handling UNDO, honoring
selections, providing more flexible utility, menu location, etc). One
thing that should be fixed fairly soon is that your script seems to
produce a hidden image (i.e., no "view" associated) and neglect to
remove it when finished.