>To, perhaps, clarify earlier posts, I do run Gimp in both Ubuntu 8.10 and
>Windows XP.  My leaning towards XP these days is because the RAW converter
>software that came with my camera (Sony A700) seems to be better than
>else in converting RAW files faithfully from the camera, and allows me to
>very high ISO with minimal noise (well, the converter does the best job at
>controlling noise that results from high ISO).  I could, I guess, do all my
>conversions from a session, switch into Linux, and use Gimp to edit/print
>there - that's a bit of a hassle, though.

>Windows, Gimp, Sony software, PS to print seems to be my solution for now.
>More integrated days will come, I'm sure.

I'd really appreciate some basic advice on how to get photos to print
decently at all!  I've shifted to printing from Word, which handles the layout
problems and is convenient - still doing all the editing in Gimp.  I have
what's supposed to be a pretty good printer, the Epson Artisan 800.  Just got
it, and spent more than I wanted because it did seem better than the

But nothing prints anything like I expect it to.  I have to greatly lighten
the photos to get it anything like it is on screen, which makes printing an
expensive process of trial and error.  Irrespective of which kind of paper I'm
actually using (matte vs. glossy), the colors totally shift depending on
whether I _tell_ it I'm printing on matte vs. glossy - a total shift from warm
to cool colors depending on the setting I use.  Then I'll get something
printing reasonably on scrap paper and when I do a "good" version on glossy it
will be MUCH darker, lose any detail in the dark areas, etc.  I've already run
out my first set of inks trying to create prints for my first-ever actual
portfolio, and I've only got around eight that I can use.

Is this typical?  I was advised by someone that I had to calibrate either my
monitor or the printer.  I read the info in gimp about that, but I don't seem
to have any calibration files (*.icc or *.icm) at all.  I'm considering
returning the printer and getting a much cheaper one - why have spent so much
if I can't get decent prints anyway?

Reading about the fine points to which you all seem to be able to refine your
printing, I'm envious.  What am I missing?

This may be the wrong forum for these questions - if anyone knows of others,
I'll be glad to be referred there!

Joy H.