> Using Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Linux.
> on K Desktop Environment 3.5.10
> I would like to check with others whether or not these issues are
> unique
> to me, my installation, or my desktop environment....
> If they are bugs, I will report them or others are welcome to do so
> (but
> please tell me if you do).
> 1) Missing mnemonics on menus.  For example, under FILE, "Create" has
> no
> labeled mnemonic.
> 2) Duplicated mnemonics on menus.  For example, under EDIT, the letter
> "p" is used ***THREE*** times, making it useless in a production
> environment.  As long as the same image is open, doing "ALT e p"
> cycles
> through the the three occurrences of the "p" mnemonic.  If it is the
> first time with the image, then it always goes to the first
> occurrence.
> Very obnoxious!
> 3) Misdirected mnemonics.  (This one may be a lack of understanding of
> menu mnemonics on my part.)  "ALT e p" [!!! may have to hit "p"
> multiple
> times to arrive at the correct desired location of PASTE AS] to get to
> PASTE AS.  This exposes the fly-out/sub-menu.  The sub-menu includes
> IMAGE with a mnemonic of "n".  However, typing an "n" at this moment
> does not utilize the fly-out menu, it goes to UNITS on the main EDIT
> menu.  What is the point of having a mnemonic on the flyout/sub-menu
> if
> you can't access them without using the arrow keys to get into the
> flyout/sub-menu by which time you are focused on the desired item
> anyway
> and can just hit return.
> 4) Non-functioning keystrokes / keyboard shortcut listed on the menus.
> Specifically for me at the moment, "CTRL SHIFT V" is supposed to
> create
> a new file from the clipboard contents.  This set of keystrokes is
> stated in TWO places:
> and
>    Both should accomplish the same thing, but on my system, it does
> nothing at all.
>    This is really annoying because tomorrow I have to have a staff
> member use this functionality 297 times.  Argh!
>    (Yes, I know that as long as we use keystrokes to get to the menu,
> we
> can "walk" though it using the arrow keys.  It is just annoying.)

Let's start off saying that the problem is yours.

There is something seriously wrong with your installation.

I don't know how far your Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 has been upgraded, but you
cannot install 2.6.6 without two major libraries that were not in the
8.04 distribution, and as well, GTK (and GLIB) need to be updated for
2.6.6 to work

So perhaps you can explain how you got 2.6.6 onto your 8.04 or, just
go the 9.04 route where you won't have these problems.