On 05/05/2009 09:36 PM, bgw wrote:
> I'm using Fedora 10; GIMP 2.6.6.
>
> Jay Smith wrote:
>> Using Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Linux.
>> on K Desktop Environment 3.5.10
>>

>> I would like to check with others whether or not these issues are unique
>> to me, my installation, or my desktop environment....
>>
>> If they are bugs, I will report them or others are welcome to do so (but
>> please tell me if you do).
>>

>> 1) Missing mnemonics on menus.  For example, under FILE, "Create" has no
>> labeled mnemonic.
>>
> I don't understand this problem.

Hi BGW,

In the main menu, under "File" one of the items is "Create".  There is
no underlined letter in the entry for "Create".  Thus I can't do
something _like_  "alt f t" (or whatever) to get to the "Sub-menu".

>> 2) Duplicated mnemonics on menus.  For example, under EDIT, the letter
>> "p" is used ***THREE*** times, making it useless in a production
>> environment.  As long as the same image is open, doing "ALT e p" cycles
>> through the the three occurrences of the "p" mnemonic.  If it is the
>> first time with the image, then it always goes to the first occurrence.
>> Very obnoxious!
>>
> In my system, ALT E followed by a letter seems to select an entry whose
> first character is that letter:
> Paste, Paste as, and Preferences.

It is not selecting the "first character". It is selecting the defined
mnemonic which is represented by the underlined character. It may be
that in your installation the underlining has been turned off under
"Edit, Preferences, Interface, Keyboard Shortcuts..."

> This may not be the best way to choose an action, so I guess it's
> useless. But what are you trying to accomplish with ALT e p

I agree that having more than one action defined with the same mnemonic
is close to useless.

In this instance, it is not so much what I am trying to accomplish as it
is that I am inquiring if others feel that this is a bug.

But, what I am trying to accomplish is a quick way to create a new file
using the contents (including SIZE) of a selection in the paste buffer.
 As addressed below.

>> 3) Misdirected mnemonics.  (This one may be a lack of understanding of
>> menu mnemonics on my part.)  "ALT e p" [!!! may have to hit "p" multiple
>> times to arrive at the correct desired location of PASTE AS] to get to
>> PASTE AS.  This exposes the fly-out/sub-menu.  The sub-menu includes NEW
>> IMAGE with a mnemonic of "n".  However, typing an "n" at this moment
>> does not utilize the fly-out menu, it goes to UNITS on the main EDIT
>> menu.  What is the point of having a mnemonic on the flyout/sub-menu if
>> you can't access them without using the arrow keys to get into the
>> flyout/sub-menu by which time you are focused on the desired item anyway
>> and can just hit return.
>>
> When I execute
> select
> copy
> SHIFT+CTRL+p
> I get a new image with the selection that was on the clipboard.
> There seems to be no need to index through the various submenus to get
> there. The keyboard mnemonic is unique.

I don't.

What I get is the PATTERNS showing up in the window with the Layers,
Channels, Brushes, etc., etc.

I am glad that (CTRL+SHIFT+p) works for you, but the menu system
specifically, in two places says it is "CTRL+SHIFT+V".  And that does
NOT work for me.

>> 4) Non-functioning keystrokes / keyboard shortcut listed on the menus.
>> Specifically for me at the moment, "CTRL SHIFT V" is supposed to create
>> a new file from the clipboard contents.  This set of keystrokes is
>> stated in TWO places:
>>
>>    FILE, CREATE, FROM CLIPBOARD
>> and
>>    EDIT, PASTE AS, NEW IMAGE
>>
>>    Both should accomplish the same thing, but on my system, it does
>> nothing at all.
>>
> In my installation, SHIFT+CTRL+V creates a new image with the clipboard
> contents, as expected.
> Not sure how you are getting there from the discussion above.

Perhaps you have misread some of what I have written above.  Or perhaps
there is something broken (as Owen suggests) about my installation.